As a Vegetarian looking to lose weight, it can be difficult to follow any sort of popular diet plan to the letter. Usually, we can work around diet plan restrictions by substituting meat for Quorn or tofu alternatives, but on the Atkins diet where meat and dairy form the largest part of the diet, this can be especially restrictive for vegetarians.
Vegans considering the Atkins plan should probably look for Atkins alternatives. The “Eco-Atkins” suggests a fat and protein mix that includes nuts, seeds vegetables, and soy products.
For Vegetarians, following the traditional Atkins diet is entirely doable if you make some smart substitutions for common ingredients.
Here are some top tips for following the Atkins diet as a Vegetarian:
- Learn to love omelets. Omelets can be a versatile meal, for breakfast lunch or as part of dinner. Experiment with cheese and Atkins friendly vegetables for a quick and tasty meal. Why not try mixing in Quorn sausages for some variety and flavor. Obviously you should only follow this tip if your diet allows you to eat eggs.
- Know your vegetables. While Atkins encourages eating lots of vegetables you should be careful to choose those that aren't high in carbs. Particularly low carbohydrate vegetables include spinach (use as a base for salads for something different), mushrooms, pepper, and lettuce. These are good low carb alternatives to higher carb vegetables.
- Find Atkins friendly fruit. Sadly, many fruits are high in natural sugar which isn't good news for the Atkins dieter. Banned on the first phase of the diet, but in the maintenance phase, you can enjoy fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, and melon. Splenda is the recommended Atkins sugar substitute so you can add this to food or drinks if you have a sweet tooth.
- Up your protein intake. Thankfully there are lots of meat substitutes to choose from. Quorn, soy, and tofu products that are full of protein are probably a staple for most Vegan and Vegetarian dieters already so this shouldn't be much of a transition.
- Keep track of your carbs. It is extra important for low carb vegetarians to count the carbs they eat, simply because our diets are naturally high in carbs. The Atkins carb allowance is 20g in the induction phase, so keep a close eye on your carb intake.
If you need a little extra help to lose weight you could curb your dietary fat intake which in turn will allow your body to work off its own fat stores. This causes healthy, sustained weight loss over time.
A fat binder such as Proactol XS can significantly reduce your body's ability to absorb dietary fats, and it has non-gelatin capsules (perfect for us Vegetarians). It is a 100% Vegan diet pill.
The fat that is bound to in your digestive system passes through your body naturally and without unpleasant side effects. Safe and side effect free, that is why we rate it as our top-rated fat binder out of all the fat blockers on the market.
Hi, I'm Aileen, the owner of Diet Pill Judge. I have personally tried loads of diet pills over the years and found that only a few of them really work.
My background is in science, so I set out to find supplements that have scientific evidence behind them and which I can confidently recommend.